Bindi Irwin Has PETA Furious for SeaWorld Partnership

Posted on Mar 6 2014 - 8:06pm by Caryn Dot Chavez

Bindi Irwin Has PETA Furious for SeaWorld Partnership

In what the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) calls a hypocritical move, Bindi Irwin, the 15-year-old daughter of famed crocodile hunter Steve Irwin, has partnered with SeaWorld in a joint initiative called Generation Nature which encourages children to help preserve wildlife.

SeaWorld has been the focal point of claims of abuse and exploitation by PETA for quite some time, and has recently received backlash after the hit documentary Blackfish highlights what happens when a killer whale is confined to a small space for entertainment purposes.  PETA shared with toofab, “The Irwin family has been exploiting animals for years, so it comes as no surprise that Bindi has agreed to become SeaWorld’s latest shill. But plastering her face on SeaWorld’s website won’t cover up the fact that orcas, dolphins, and other animals are suffering in SeaWorld’s tiny tanks after being ripped from their families.”  They go on, “Bindi’s talk-show appearances are just a flimsy last-ditch effort by an abusement park hoping to make a buck.”

Performers such as Trisha Yearwood and REO Speedwagon have cancelled planned shows in the park, choosing not to be associated with the controversial theme-park. Bindi talked with Robin Roberts this morning and shared how excited she is about the new joint initiative.  I don’t think this is the last we’ll hear from PETA on Generation Nature.  Tell us what you think! Are you Team Sea World or Team Bindi?

Caryn Doti Chavez – has been writing for years. She has two published children’s books, and has authored everything from poetry to personnel manuals. She has quite a bit on her plate, but has always enjoyed and made time for catching up on celeb gossip in the free time she has. With her love of reading celeb news and her passion for writing, this is her dream role! She can usually be found at home with her family (her husband, daughter, four chihuahuas, a cat, and two hamsters!) or at a Barnes and Noble. A true night owl…she lives on strong coffee!

1. BusyBee May 6, 2014 at 8:01 am - Reply

Peta needs to stop with being so angry at people.

• Walli May 12, 2014 at 12:04 pm - Reply

Busybee, if people like PETA didn’t get angry as you call it, I can only imagine the suffering animals would endure for the sake of amusing us. Animals cannot speak for themselves, environmental groups and animal rights groups have to do that for them. After researching SeaWorld I will not frequent any of their parks. Tearing babies away for their mothers is horrible and we don’t give animals credit for feeling pain.
      Please do your research before condemning PETA.

• AnnoyedBee May 19, 2014 at 11:45 pm - Reply

Walli, it is sad that people like BusyBee spout off without knowing ANY facts whatsoever!! It’s nice living in ignorance land. Sadly, PETA does do stupid things that turn people off so that it seems believable that PETA are the nuts. BusyBee should research though before she spouts off. I watched Blackfish and I couldn’t stop crying. It was disgusting. I will NEVER profit a corrupt corporation such as Seaworld either and it has nothing to do with PETA. It’s called paying attention BusyBee. The facts are in your face. Just pay attention. As for the Irwins, who are they? No one. They are has beens.

• kelli May 23, 2014 at 9:22 am - Reply

• Laurell June 7, 2014 at 6:55 pm - Reply

I agree! But San Diego Zoo is far worse! The animals at Sea World all have toys…San Diego Zoo, and Bindi’s Zoo wants the animals in “natural habitat”, LOL Ever see a bear pace in the wild? Monkeys in such tiny cages? Zoo’s make me far sicker than Sea World, but I agree that all wild animals need to be left in the wild!! How would YOU feel if some large monster plucked you from your home, and forced you to do tricks for food for the rest of your life!?

• kinensai June 30, 2014 at 2:11 pm - Reply

I think it’s great that everyone is finally starting to realize that we all need to be more aware of animal rights and stop supporting animal cruelty. However, people need to start by looking at themselves and their own households first. Stop “crate training” dogs. We say it isn’t right to have “wild” animals in such small inclosures and then turn around and put our pets in crates or small pens in the backyard while we go to work. Sometimes people leave their dogs in crates while at work and then again when it’s time to sleep. That’s 16+ hours. Often times these crates aren’t even big enough for the animals to pace in. Change starts in your own household first.

• lisa July 12, 2014 at 12:49 pm -

I agree! I think it’s ok for safe transportation, or vet office for recovery. I just got a year old English bull dog, and the previous owner loved him, but had to put him in a create while at work for 8 hour, not including to and from work. He offered me the create. I told him there would be no need. He(the dog) would not be caged. I know money doesn’t grow on tree’s, find someone to help care for your pet child while at work. my dog has his freedom and I take him to a safe area where he walks off lead, to run, use his mind to explore, and burn energy from the expensive pet food. I think some people don’t think before getting a pet, how or whom will care for it when they can’t, so pet stores sell them a create. My thought is if you can afford the dog run why not fence the yard.

• sexybee July 3, 2014 at 10:10 pm - Reply

Erm who eats animals like ewww.

2. les hagbloom May 22, 2014 at 6:06 pm - Reply

don’t PETA stand for people eat the animals?

• ByteMe July 1, 2014 at 1:57 pm - Reply

No, PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals. :)

3. Tracy R May 23, 2014 at 9:48 am - Reply

It kills me these animals are ripped away from their famalies and forced to perform in less than desirable tanks. I am team animals-they are not put on this earth for our entertainment!

4. Shannon May 24, 2014 at 2:18 am - Reply

I’m shocked to see Bindi, condone the treatment of these animals. It goes against what her father taught her, His mission was to educate people about animals and enjoy seeing them in their natural habitat. Never would he approve Sea World exploiting them or taking them from their families. I am appalled

• Jennie June 3, 2014 at 10:31 am - Reply

I feel like Bindi is at an age that she is ignorant to all this. I doubt her mother would let her watch Blackfish knowing this $$$Deal$$$ is on the table. With her mother as her manager what does she even do for a living to provide for her kids? and since Bindi really isnt a hot commodity all the mother cares is about grabbing the deal while its still hot and banking off her daughter. sad

• Cheryl June 28, 2014 at 10:47 am - Reply

When Steve left this world he left his family well provided for, do your homework. They do not need to whore themselves for money. They could be doing that, but they don’t NEED to.

5. Maggie May 29, 2014 at 4:04 pm - Reply

If an animal isn”t able to take care of itself in the wild It”s one thing. BUT !! They shouldn”t keep healthy,able ones caged up Any Where.

6. fatalreview June 3, 2014 at 10:10 pm - Reply

PETA needs to rethink their endorsement of Miley Cyrus–how many dogs is she going to have die before they stop acting like she is a responsible pet owner and a worthy pet ambassador-get off Bindi’s back you “pet lovers” I think South Park’s take on pETA is pretty accurate

7. CAHummingbird June 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm - Reply

The PETA people are nothing but a bunch of ahole troublemakers who will do anything to get their organization’s name in the press. Their claims are nothing but bull $#!T!! Sea World, many of the world’s zoos and other organizations that have to put up with their BS have saved endangered species with their breeding programs. PETA, on the other hand has done NOTHING but cause problems everywhere they decide to go. Screw you PETA!

8. Laural White June 11, 2014 at 10:56 pm - Reply

Sorry PETA. I like Sea World. I believe the tanks are large, very large. the show tank is smaller, of course.

PETA if you want to do something worth while, do something about the cattle ranchers making the states remove the free
    mustang horses from the free lands so they can turn their cattle out on the lands that are for the mustangs. Perhaps you should look into the helicopter round ups. Taking these horses and sending them to slaughter houses. So, where are you PETA?????

• Stacy July 1, 2014 at 4:29 pm - Reply

I don’t think you understand how TINY the tanks are for a several ton whale? Why do you think they fight with each other? Why the have killed trainers. There is NO none attack on humans in Killer Whales that live in the wild. Its like a goldfish in a bowl ya it works for a while but they can’t grow to softball size they are supposed to and so then the lifespan is shorten and they usually get sick and die. Killer whales don’t deserve to live in a cement tank for there entire lives with SeaWorld loves to tell people is only like 15-20 when its actually much longer..SeaWorld lies about a lot and people like you need to see how horrible it really is…What the movie the The Cove you can see how seaworld gets dolphins pretty sick just google you will see

9. Grantu8 June 18, 2014 at 11:06 am - Reply

I understand what PETA stands for, and I also understand that there are probably 1000s’ of cases of animal abuse….BUT….I wonder if this were about abused children…just how fast they would take on the cause of abused and battered children???

Personally I truly feel that this organization is much too stringent and narrow thinking!!

• Stacy July 1, 2014 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Are you for real? PETA is specifically for animal abuse, the abuse of children isn’t what they do, They actually other organizations for that.. jesus

• Paul Stanley July 15, 2014 at 12:41 pm - Reply

I’ll be you don’t feel as strongly about the abuse of babies through abortion as you do about an animal.

10. Grantu8 June 18, 2014 at 11:08 am - Reply

Leave Bindi Irwin alone!!! She is a wonderful young lady and always wants the best for all animals!!!

11. TAMICA June 22, 2014 at 3:48 am - Reply

RESEARCH PETA MORE CLOSLEY DO YOUR OWN INVESTIGATION. WHAT YOU WILL FIND WILL DISGUST YOU. GO TO PETAS SITE READ CAREFULLY WHAT THEY PRINT AND THEIR VIEWS. YOU WILL DISCOVER THAT PETA KILLS MORE ANIMALS ON A DAILY BASIS THAN MOST KILL SHELTERS. THEY CONSIDER IT “MORE HUMANE” THAT TRYING TO ADOPT THEM OUT. DON’T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.THEY ARE HONEST AND UP FRONT ABOUT IT. CHECK OUT THEIR SITES AND THEIR PEOPLE.

• Penny June 25, 2014 at 1:08 am - Reply

PETA is a bunch of hypocrites.

• JW July 1, 2014 at 12:53 am - Reply

Amen!!! PETA is the epitome of hypocrites!

12. Penny June 25, 2014 at 1:07 am - Reply

It’s funny to me how “we” pick and chose what animals should roam free and which should be kept as pets.

13. TJ July 2, 2014 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Actually,having animals in captivity SAVES them !

Yes,we learn about them,people respect them and we can treat their medical issues ! YES ! Even in the wild we now know how to help them !!!

Peta is a propaganda machine,and it doesn’t do any good for the animals.

I am not a animal lover/nutt but I don’t want any animal to suffer…and none do in captivity,so Peta,stop killing dogs and cats as you do after you pick them up for so-called adoption..

14. Bae July 16, 2014 at 2:44 am - Reply

Honestly, PETA has killed tons of puppies and kittens. (If you don’t believe me, GOOGLE IT.) THAT should be in the media’s eye. That is so fucked up more than supporting fucking seaworld. It’s so sick to see picture of countless dogs and cats stuffed in trash bags.

15. Pamela July 19, 2014 at 8:33 am - Reply

I do think Peta go too far and tend to annoy people and sound extreme, obviously it’s easy to see where they’re coming from.

16. Casey July 22, 2014 at 1:51 pm - Reply

I am not saying there is no cruelty to animals, but PETA is an extreme Leftist organization.