Beautiful Skin: 3 Natural Ways to Prevent and Treat Dryness

Posted on Jun 30 2014 - 4:51pm by Annemarie LeBlanc

Beautiful Skin: 3 Natural Ways to Prevent and Treat Dryness

Is it just me, or do you want instant relief from dry, flaky, or itchy skin? The result of dry skin can cause red, blotchy, and sometimes painful areas on your delicate skin and lets not forget that annoying itch factor. Dry skin happens for multiple reasons including when skin doesn’t retain sufficient moisture, environmental influences, diet choices, and sometimes medical conditions like dehydration. Have you considered any natural remedies to help ease the discomfort of dry skin.

First of all, have you considered prevention? 60 percent of your body is made up of water. So it would make sense that water could help prevent and heal dry skin. Ingesting 6-8 glasses of water a day is healthy for you, but it keeps your skin supple and prevents dehydration, which tends to lead to dry itchy skin. Also, getting plenty of hydration can help flush harmful toxins from your body that can be damaging to your skin. So drink up, it can help in the healing and prevention of dry itchy skin.

Speaking of water, taking a soothing oatmeal bath can help sooth your parched and itchy dermis. Oatmeal is natural and can be easily found in the nearest supermarket for a very low cost. Oats are effective in fighting dull, flaky, dry skin since they contain something called “polysaccharides” that become somewhat solidified in water, thus forming a fine protective film when applied on skin. Adding just everyday oatmeal to a warm soak or bath can naturally moisturize, sooth, as well as protect your skin. You can also find many types of relieving and natural body products made from oatmeal or oats.

Another natural accruing remedy is honey. How does honey help dry itchy skin, you ask? Honey can be used on dry skin, because its composition is described as “humectant”. A humecant such as honey is considered a natural moisturizer. Honey is also known for its natural healing qualities. So with the combination of the both of those properties it makes it perfect for a earthly regimen to dry skin. Using a form of natural honey is best but store bought honey can be just as beneficial. Just scoop a substantial spoonful of honey into your hand and spread all over the effected area. Rub the honey into your skin and let sit for several minutes before rinsing with warm water.

Natural dry itchy skin regimens can be successful with a combination of different types of products, diet, and avoiding certain exposures to harmful environments (direct sun, windy air, and cold temperatures). It doesn’t matter how you choose to treat your severely dry dermis unless you find the underlying cause of the dry skin, by contacting your medical professional.

Annemarie is a Mom whose daughter (Robyn) has left the nest and now she is traveling the world experiencing everything the world has to offer. You can find her sipping martinis in some of the most exotics locations in the world, having a beer at her local pub or canoeing on a beautiful lake in the Adirondacks.

1. Erin June 30, 2014 at 5:13 pm - Reply

Great tips, my skin can get so dry in the summer I really have to stay on top of it.

2. BusyBee June 30, 2014 at 10:46 pm - Reply

My skin is always so dry. thank yo for the tips

3. Allie July 1, 2014 at 8:06 am - Reply

I’ve always had a problem with dry skin. These are great tips.

4. Janelle July 1, 2014 at 8:08 am - Reply

Increasing your water intake can help immensely. Dry skin is a constant battle.

5. Robin (Masshole Mommy) July 1, 2014 at 8:15 am - Reply

I have wicked dry sky – especially in the winter time. Oatmeal baths definitley help!

6. Pamela July 1, 2014 at 8:40 am - Reply

Have this from time to time, great tips. I like oils the best!

7. Alison July 1, 2014 at 11:21 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing these tips. I was just commenting yesterday about how both my son and I were getting that dreaded dry skin we always get in the summer (lots of swimming) – this will definitely help!

8. Paula Parker July 1, 2014 at 11:30 am - Reply

Water is the key, I think. You can tell on my skin, when I have been drinking too much coffee and too little water. Basically the only things I drink except on occasions. Informative blog!

9. Michael from DefiningDad July 1, 2014 at 1:41 pm - Reply

As we all grow older it’s important to know the best and most natural ways to moisturize our skin. I know I didn’t need to do anything for many years, but now I’m finding that moisturizer is essential. Great tips!

10. Felicia July 1, 2014 at 1:57 pm - Reply

Great tips! As a skin care consultant I also have a full line of great products that are proven to help with dry skin! http://www.thetinyprofessional.com/myrandf/

11. Kungphoo July 1, 2014 at 2:01 pm - Reply

I get this in the winter.. i have heard that honey would really work to keep it moist, but it has to be raw honey.

12. Sandra - The Foodie Affair July 1, 2014 at 3:15 pm - Reply

I haven’t heard about honey being helpful for dry skin. Great to know!

13. Stacey Werner July 1, 2014 at 3:58 pm - Reply

I’d never heard that honey could be used on dry skin! Thanks.

14. Marion@Life Tastes Good July 1, 2014 at 6:35 pm - Reply

This is super helpful! I had no idea honey worked for dry skin!

15. Debi @ Life Currents July 1, 2014 at 6:44 pm - Reply

Great tips! Summer can be so drying, so these will come in handy.

16. DD July 1, 2014 at 8:39 pm - Reply

My skin is always so dry. Great tips.

17. Kassondra from Motherhood Community July 1, 2014 at 9:16 pm - Reply

I had never heard that about honey before. Thanks for the tip!

18. Joanna Sormunen July 1, 2014 at 9:56 pm - Reply

Great advice! And the best thing, it’s all natural! Thank you for sharing!

19. Sam July 1, 2014 at 10:43 pm - Reply

Great info! I certainly need it living in Colorado

20. Debra July 2, 2014 at 10:10 am - Reply

Wonderful tips! I love anything all natural.

21. Krystal July 2, 2014 at 12:18 pm - Reply

I too suffer from dry skin. Thanks for sharing some helpful tips. I will be sure to give them a try!

22. Liz Mays July 2, 2014 at 3:25 pm - Reply

I never knew about the honey trick. I’ll absolutely be trying that one!

• Jen July 6, 2014 at 7:34 am - Reply

I’ve only just discovered honey, but it’s miraculous! especially for dry skin!

23. Pamela July 3, 2014 at 9:00 am - Reply

I’ve never tried the honey idea before, will have to give it a go.

24. DD July 5, 2014 at 10:39 pm - Reply

Water is definitely very important!

• Jen July 6, 2014 at 7:35 am - Reply

I started glugging lots of water about 2 months ago and it’s really helped all sorts of things. Love it.

25. Jen July 6, 2014 at 7:33 am - Reply

My elbows remind me of an old man or a tortoise :(

26. Amber NElson July 9, 2014 at 1:53 pm - Reply

These are great tips. I hate dry skin!

27. BusyBee July 18, 2014 at 9:00 pm - Reply

With all of this Air Conditioning on during the summer my skin is super dry.