How To Highlight And Contour Your Face With The Best Makeup (VIDEO)

Posted on Jun 20 2014 - 4:12am by Annemarie LeBlanc

How To Highlight And Contour Your Face With The Best Makeup (VIDEO)

Have you always wanted to get that perfect sunkissed look? Have you tried to contour your face with makeup and bronzer, but never quite achieved the result you desired? Well, the Home Shopping Network has uploaded an exclusive new video teaching you how to do contouring right. With this guide, you’ll be able to go out with the look that you’ve always wanted.

Now, Nur [who has her own makeup tutorial page on Youtube] rightly points out that contouring, if done badly, can make you look like Braveheart. The unintentional hilarity resulting from a bad contour job is something no one wants, but doing contouring the right way really isn’t as hard as it looks.

First things first – don’t expect to go into this and come out looking like Angelina Jolie. Highlighting, contouring, and bronzing are all used to enhance your own personal features, which means that you’ll still look like you at the end of the session – but just a super glamorous version of you.

The best thing about contouring is that it can be used to emphasize whatever feature you want to emphasize, and de-emphasize whatever feature you want to hide.

The first step is the actual contouring, which is achieved via a matte foundation or primer. You use contouring on the natural shadows in your face, such as your cheeks, your chin, your forehead, and the sides of your nose [if you want to make your nose look slimmer].

In contrast, Nur points out that highlighting – which is the next step – is used to emphasize features. So if we’ve just contoured the sides of our noses, then we’ll want to highlight the bridge so that it ‘lifts’ and makes your nose look slimmer.

Finally, bronzing needs to use something that is shimmery or creates that sunkissed effect. If it’s matte, it’ll just end up blending into the rest of the makeup, and that’s not what we want. Instead, try to look for something a little darker, perhaps with some sheen or glow. Put it on [usually on your cheeks], and voila! You are good to go.

The video does a fantastic job of explaining the steps. Now, all you have to do is head out and buy the right makeup tools, and you’re set for your next contouring session.

Annemarie is a Mom whose daughter (Robyn) has left the nest and now she is traveling the world experiencing everything the world has to offer. You can find her sipping martinis in some of the most exotics locations in the world, having a beer at her local pub or canoeing on a beautiful lake in the Adirondacks.

1. Jen June 20, 2014 at 4:58 am - Reply

OMG. This is just what I need! I have seen the wonders of contouring and am terrible at it!

2. Jen June 20, 2014 at 4:59 am - Reply

And Nur’s tutorials are great! I have watched a few in the past and they’re so easy to follow!

3. Robin (Masshole Mommy) June 20, 2014 at 5:49 am - Reply

Good to know. I don’t wear makeup, but I am sure that will help people who need it.

4. Pamela June 20, 2014 at 6:30 am - Reply

Isn’t it amazing what difference it makes? It’s crazy!

5. Amanda June 20, 2014 at 9:44 am - Reply

This would b fun to do. I don’t wear much makeup cuz with a toddler, a husband, a garden, making most of our food from scratch, a house, a yard, and blogging I don’t have much extra time but I do love to get all beautified once in a while.

6. Kristen from The Road to Domestication June 20, 2014 at 1:57 pm - Reply

This is a great instructional video! I have a few things to work on, it seems! LOL

7. becca June 20, 2014 at 5:14 pm - Reply

thank you I have been try to channel my inner girl for awhile now will have to practice this.

8. Onica {MommyFactor} June 20, 2014 at 5:26 pm - Reply

I dont really wear that much makeup. But there’s some useful tips I can use.

9. dd June 20, 2014 at 9:07 pm - Reply

I am very bad at this contouring. I think that I will have to practice more.

10. Jennifer Williams June 20, 2014 at 9:29 pm - Reply

I will have to check this out. I have pretty much given up on wearing make up because we are so active it usually does not work out well. There are times I go out to dinner with my family though so tips are good for those occasions.

11. Allie June 21, 2014 at 2:21 am - Reply

I don’t like wearing too much makeup, it seems like you have to put too much on.

12. Janelle June 21, 2014 at 2:22 am - Reply

She makes the application seem easy, I’ll have to try it.

13. Kay Adeola June 21, 2014 at 9:07 am - Reply

Great thank you for sharing.I do not wear make up often.

14. Amanda June 21, 2014 at 11:24 am - Reply

I have just started doing this and it makes such a huge difference! Great video!

15. krystalskitsch June 21, 2014 at 1:00 pm - Reply

I need tips on doing this. It makes a huge difference!

16. Marni | Love and Duck Fat June 21, 2014 at 3:36 pm - Reply

This is such a helpful video! Thank you for sharing.

17. Sarah Bailey June 21, 2014 at 7:08 pm - Reply

I really need to learn to highlight and contour – I cannot believe the difference it makes :) x

18. April @ Everyday Fitness and Nutrition June 21, 2014 at 7:54 pm - Reply

I love that there are video tutorials to learn things like this! It makes it so much easier!

19. Alice Chase June 22, 2014 at 2:09 am - Reply

Contouring makes such a difference! Thanks for sharing this. I’m going to share it with my friends as well.

20. Tough Cookie Mommy June 22, 2014 at 2:15 am - Reply

I’ve read articles about how Kim Kardashian highlights and contours her face like this and it makes a big difference.

21. BusyBee June 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm - Reply

This is a good video for beginners. Wish I saw this years ago

22. Pamela June 23, 2014 at 7:56 am - Reply

I love the idea of this and try to do it, great tips!

23. DD June 23, 2014 at 7:16 pm - Reply

It definitely makes a big difference! Wow!

24. BusyBee July 20, 2014 at 4:32 pm - Reply

She looks amazing with or without the makeup, but I will have to try this at home