Bindi Irwin Says Time Doesn’t Heal the Loss Of Her Father Steve Irwin (PHOTO)

Posted on Jul 28 2014 - 12:05am by Cate Meighan

Bindi Irwin Says Time Doesn't Heal the Loss Of Her Father Steve Irwin (PHOTO)

I think everyone was a bit sad back in 2006 when “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin was killed in a stingray attack. It was one of those things that you knew could happen but for whatever reason still didn’t expect it to. He was a pro and in a moment we were all reminded that the animals were still ultimately in control of him. Bindi Irwin was only 8-years old when her father died and now she is finally starting to talk about her loss a little bit.

According to an interview in the Aug. 4th print edition of People Magazine Bindi says that being told that time heals all wounds is the biggest lie ever, because it doesn’t. Sure, she and her family have moved on but there is a sadness that remains. Her 10-year old brother Robert studies their late fathers videos with intensity and Bindi likes to read all of the letters that he sent home while traveling the world. Her fathers own words bring more comfort than anything else can.

Bindi is also working as a youth ambassador for SeaWorld because she believes it’s a great way to help keep her fathers work and memory alive. She also helps to organize her families yearly crocodile research trip because it was an event that her father loved. While giving back is important Bindi still does little things to feel her father’s presence. Steve last his hand prints in concrete right outside of the family home in the Australia Zoo. Both Bindi and Robert like to put their hands in the prints to connect with Steve.

It’s cool to see Bindi growing up and turning into such an amazing young woman in spite of her hurt, isn’t it? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

1. Pamela July 29, 2014 at 10:07 am - Reply

She was so young when it happened, hope she has some memory of him.

2. Jen July 29, 2014 at 10:12 am - Reply

I’m sorry that’s how she feels but that’s a bad thing to say when others are just freshly grieving. Time dos heal. You do get to a place where you are happy and move on with your life. I have been there ;(

3. Jen July 29, 2014 at 10:32 am - Reply

I think Bindi being a Seaworld Ambassador is a good thing. But I’d specially like to see her step out from under her father’s shadow and flourish while looking back and smiling at his memory.

4. Susan Bewley July 31, 2014 at 12:37 am - Reply

It seems hard to believe its been so long since he died. From everything I have read and from previous interviews she is such a strong, inspiring girl. Her father would be so proud!

5. Janelle July 31, 2014 at 1:16 am - Reply

He must be so proud of the woman she’s beocme.

• Jen July 31, 2014 at 4:00 am - Reply

I think you’re right he would def have been proud. I wish all the best for her and her mom.

6. Allie July 31, 2014 at 1:18 am - Reply

What a great role model she’s become. She’s also very pretty.

7. Sabre July 31, 2014 at 1:42 am - Reply

Wow she’s grown up! I remember watching Steve Irwin he was great.

8. Michelle July 31, 2014 at 10:14 am - Reply

It must be so tough for her, but I’m glad to see she is following in his footsteps & keeping his memory alive

9. Paula Bendfeldt-Diaz July 31, 2014 at 10:39 am - Reply

I was a such a huge fan, still remember that day. Still bring tears to my eyes. We are an avid “animal lover” family and we loved him. I am so glad she is following in her father’s footsteps.

10. Camille July 31, 2014 at 9:31 pm - Reply

Love the update on Bindi- I can’t believe its been so long. Great to see she is following in her father’s footsteps and doesn’t have resentment

11. Deann August 1, 2014 at 12:53 am - Reply

Aww that is so hard to hear, I think that’s what makes her stronger now. And I believe her father is very proud of what she’s become. :)