J.K. Rowling Updates Harry Potter Story in 1500 Word Online Posting

Posted on Jul 8 2014 - 6:16pm by Cate Meighan

J.K. Rowling Updates Harry Potter Story in 1500 Word Online Posting

Harry Potter fans were given a huge gift today when J.K. Rowling decided to give them a 1500 word update on her Pottermore.com site. In the article Rowling decided that it was time to give the multitude of fans a glimpse into the man characters lives as they have grown into adulthood.  The posting is written in the style of a newspaper article that could have been written by fictional journalist, Rita Skeeter and it focuses on the lives of Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, played by Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson in the  franchise.

According to Rowling Harry Potter is now in his 30s and has a few gray hairs atop his head  while Granger is now Deputy Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Ron Weasley works at his brothers’ company Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes and his red hair is “thinning”. The article that Rowling posted also reveals that Potter is now married to Weasley’s sister Ginny who works as a journalist.

This short article comes on the heels of the announcement that Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them- a Harry Potter spin off will begin filming soon at the same London studio where all of the franchise’s films were shot.  What do you think of Rowling’s update on Harry and his friends?  Are you glad to see that she is still thinking about the beloved characters and understands that readers want to know what happened next in their lives? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

1. Pamela July 9, 2014 at 8:32 am - Reply

Wow, this is a big surprise – I wonder if she’ll go even further.

2. April July 9, 2014 at 11:21 am - Reply

I love HP. Thanks for the info!

3. Debi July 9, 2014 at 11:27 am - Reply

Oh how fun. I know Potter fans will get a kick out of that

4. Scott July 9, 2014 at 11:47 am - Reply

I never got into Harry Potter, but my girls have just started reading the first book now that they are old enough. I’m guessing it’ll become a hot topic in our house very soon.

• Jen July 13, 2014 at 4:50 am - Reply

Haha Scott. I hear your pain. My household are all huge Harry fans, so I got into it begrudgingly, secretly rooting for the baddies. Hehe.

5. Kelly Hutchinson July 9, 2014 at 1:17 pm - Reply

How fun! I love Harry Potter, so I will need to check this out.

6. Erin July 11, 2014 at 5:07 pm - Reply

I am surprised I didn’t hear the internet break with all the traffic trying to log on and read it.

7. Pamela July 12, 2014 at 5:31 am - Reply

Yes, surprised too that this is how she updated the story – maybe more to come?

8. Jen July 13, 2014 at 4:49 am - Reply

I bet she’ll do one more Harry Potter. It’s an obsession and passion for her that she does well.

9. Allie July 15, 2014 at 2:31 am - Reply

she just can’t let go. It was the end, but now there’s 1,500 more words. Soon, another 1,500… then a whole movie.

10. Janelle July 15, 2014 at 2:39 am - Reply

I’m sure the Potter fans love the occasional bone.