Purse Organization Made Easy: 6 Steps to an Uncluttered Handbag

Purse Organization Made Easy: 6 Steps to an Uncluttered Handbag

A woman’s purse is her “toolbox” – it stores anything and everything she may need when out and about. If not careful, however, the bag can quickly become an unorganized mess, making it impossible to find anything when you need it.

Fortunately, there are ways you can keep an organized purse – and the tips below will help you get started and continue carrying a bag that you can find things in!

1. Clean out the contents of your purse weekly.

It’s easy to drop things down in your bag – and leave them there. However, over time, these dropping are the recipe for a cluttered purse. If you want to be able to find anything, you must rid your bag of trash, receipts, and other unnecessary items on a weekly basis.

2. Declutter your wallet monthly.

Since your wallet is less likely to become disorganized, thanks to separate pockets, sections, and card slots, you only need to clean it out once a month. Remove any expired credit cards, coupons, and receipts that you no longer need to carry. If you carry change, empty some of it so the wallet doesn’t get too heavy and bulky.

3. Utilize pockets on your purse.

If you have one large space for everything, you will likely never have an organized purse. The key is to use the side pockets and zippered areas of your handbag so you can keep things handy. Put lotion, chapstick, and other beauty aids in a compartment together. Most bags have an open, slender pocket for a cell phone or eyeglasses. Get creative to store as much as you can in separate areas rather than tossing it all into the bottom of the bag.

4. Use a purse organizer.

If you have very few pockets, a purse organizer such as the Pouchee, can help solve your problems. This insert allows you to have sectioned areas of your bag so all of your belongings aren’t lumped together. The outside of the organizer also give you room for cards and small items like gum, nail clippers, your phone, and more.

5. Avoid carrying more than you need.

This is one of the biggest enemies of an organized purse. If you are carrying more than the bag allows, or more than you really need to, it’s hard for your bag to be clutter-free. When you do your weekly cleanings, think about the items you are currently housing inside your purse. If you don’t think you will ever need them (or will not need them for the next week or two), remove them. You can always put them back at a later time!

6. Keep everything in its “home”.

Avoid dropping items that have a special place down into the large compartment of your purse. Develop habits of putting things exactly where they should go. Each week, you will be able to replace items in their homes, but doing so each time you open your bag will make things easier for you to stay organized.

How do you keep an organized purse?

Comments

1. says

I definitely clean my purse of receipts etc every week! They sure do accumulate quickly. I should probably empty out the change portion more often-my purse gets very heavy. I do tend to keep things in their proper place so I can usually find things.

2. says

I love this post! My purse is always so cluttered and I often feel overwhelmed! By simply cleaning the contents of your purse each week, you’re more likely to have organization! I love the ” Avoid carrying more than you need,” because I do seem to throw any old thing in my purse!

3. says

I’m the one that has a pile of receipts in my purse, ugh! Last weekend there was a hard boiled egg at the bottom of my purse. I took it to work on Friday and forgot to eat it! lol – I SO need to take these tips to heart!

4. Paula Parker says

Great list. I am always organizing and making messy all of my stuff, purses, notes on blogs, the junk room, etc. I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

5. Bonnie G says

Great tips! I really don’t carry much in my purse but for some reason I still can’t find my keys lol.

6. Maria Oller says

Awesome tips but it doesn’t matter what I do my purse always ends messy after a couple of hours must be the huge amount of things I carry with me

7. says

I really try to have everything in a home inside my purse, but stuff always falls out of the compartments they’re supposed to be. It’s so frustrating!

8. says

I haven’t seen the bottom of my purse in ages. I’m fairly certain that an animal cracker mutated with a green crayon. I might lose a finger in there….

9. says

These are great tips. I tend to carry so much in my purse but I do purge it every Sunday to make sure I am not carrying a bunch of crap. I also switch purses often.

10. Ann Bacciaglia says

My purse is so messy. I really need to clean it regularly. Thanks for sharing these great tips.

11. Patricia says

Thanks so much for your tips. I have an awful habit of storing EVERYTHING in my purse. I really need to clean it out.

12. says

Wow!! SO, its not just me. All the women make their handbags the best place to put all the stuff they need and they dnt need. And within few weeks, the hand bag becomes more sought of a storage bin …. lol
    Thanks for the advices, I so needed them, actually we all needed them :p

13. katrina g says

I do well with organizing my purse for about 2 days and then it all goes out the window. I need to get much better