Purse Organization Made Easy: 6 Steps to an Uncluttered Handbag

Posted on Jul 6 2014 - 8:21am by Esmie

Purse Organization Made Easy: 6 Steps to an Uncluttered Handbag

A woman’s purse is her “toolbox” – it stores anything and everything she may need when out and about. If not careful, however, the bag can quickly become an unorganized mess, making it impossible to find anything when you need it.

Fortunately, there are ways you can keep an organized purse – and the tips below will help you get started and continue carrying a bag that you can find things in!

1. Clean out the contents of your purse weekly.

It’s easy to drop things down in your bag – and leave them there. However, over time, these dropping are the recipe for a cluttered purse. If you want to be able to find anything, you must rid your bag of trash, receipts, and other unnecessary items on a weekly basis.

2. Declutter your wallet monthly.

Since your wallet is less likely to become disorganized, thanks to separate pockets, sections, and card slots, you only need to clean it out once a month. Remove any expired credit cards, coupons, and receipts that you no longer need to carry. If you carry change, empty some of it so the wallet doesn’t get too heavy and bulky.

3. Utilize pockets on your purse.

If you have one large space for everything, you will likely never have an organized purse. The key is to use the side pockets and zippered areas of your handbag so you can keep things handy. Put lotion, chapstick, and other beauty aids in a compartment together. Most bags have an open, slender pocket for a cell phone or eyeglasses. Get creative to store as much as you can in separate areas rather than tossing it all into the bottom of the bag.

4. Use a purse organizer.

If you have very few pockets, a purse organizer such as the Pouchee, can help solve your problems. This insert allows you to have sectioned areas of your bag so all of your belongings aren’t lumped together. The outside of the organizer also give you room for cards and small items like gum, nail clippers, your phone, and more.

5. Avoid carrying more than you need.

This is one of the biggest enemies of an organized purse. If you are carrying more than the bag allows, or more than you really need to, it’s hard for your bag to be clutter-free. When you do your weekly cleanings, think about the items you are currently housing inside your purse. If you don’t think you will ever need them (or will not need them for the next week or two), remove them. You can always put them back at a later time!

6. Keep everything in its “home”.

Avoid dropping items that have a special place down into the large compartment of your purse. Develop habits of putting things exactly where they should go. Each week, you will be able to replace items in their homes, but doing so each time you open your bag will make things easier for you to stay organized.

How do you keep an organized purse?

Esmie Winterson is a high-school student in her last year. She is currently living in Toronto with her family and exploring her more creative side. Esmie constantly surfs the internet while watching tv, doing homework, eating dinner, etc. Always on the lookout for cool things to share on Celeb Teen Laundry!

1. Michele July 6, 2014 at 8:44 am - Reply

I definitely clean my purse of receipts etc every week! They sure do accumulate quickly. I should probably empty out the change portion more often-my purse gets very heavy. I do tend to keep things in their proper place so I can usually find things.

2. Angelic Sinova July 6, 2014 at 11:08 am - Reply

I love this post! My purse is always so cluttered and I often feel overwhelmed! By simply cleaning the contents of your purse each week, you’re more likely to have organization! I love the ” Avoid carrying more than you need,” because I do seem to throw any old thing in my purse!

3. Robin (Masshole Mommy) July 6, 2014 at 3:13 pm - Reply

I need to follow this advice – my bag is an absolute mess!

4. Rosey July 6, 2014 at 3:43 pm - Reply

Cleaning your purse out weekly is a great tip. I tend to let receipts pile up in mine until it’s just not pretty. ;)

5. Holly @ Woman Tribune July 6, 2014 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Great tips! I go through my purse weekly clearing everything out, getting rid of trash that has accumulated, putting receipts away, and such. It gets cluttered so quickly!

6. Joanna Sormunen July 6, 2014 at 9:50 pm - Reply

I try to use every nook and corner, besides the pockets, in my purse. But I don’t empty it often enough.

7. Family Travel Blogger July 6, 2014 at 10:34 pm - Reply

My purse is always so unorganized. Using all of my pockets would probably help but I don’t always.

8. Sandra - The Foodie Affair July 6, 2014 at 11:59 pm - Reply

I’m the one that has a pile of receipts in my purse, ugh! Last weekend there was a hard boiled egg at the bottom of my purse. I took it to work on Friday and forgot to eat it! lol – I SO need to take these tips to heart!

9. Janelle July 7, 2014 at 4:48 am - Reply

I can’t think of anyone that needs these tips more than me. lol

10. Allie July 7, 2014 at 4:49 am - Reply

I was hoping you’d include a link to where one could buy the purse. So cute!

11. Claudia Krusch July 7, 2014 at 9:06 am - Reply

i definitely needed this advice! You motivated me to go and clean my purses today.

12. Pamela July 7, 2014 at 9:30 am - Reply

I hate being too cluttered, it’s better just to have a few things in there.

13. krystalskitsch July 7, 2014 at 11:40 am - Reply

You make it sound sooooo simple! ;) I have to work on this for sure.

14. Michelle F. July 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm - Reply

Those are some great tips. I always have a messy purse.

15. Samantha Angell July 7, 2014 at 2:59 pm - Reply

I am definitely guilty of carrying a big purse! However, I clean it out frequently enough where it is relatively organized- at least to me!

16. Diana Villa July 7, 2014 at 3:19 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for the useful post and tips, Like a mom my purse is a total mess lol :D

17. Glossytweets (@glossytweetss) July 7, 2014 at 3:29 pm - Reply

I don’t keep an organized purse. I know how to do it and I organize it sometimes, but honesly, a woman purse is not meant to be organized:D ..The show closet, yes:D

18. Paula Parker July 7, 2014 at 5:47 pm - Reply

Great list. I am always organizing and making messy all of my stuff, purses, notes on blogs, the junk room, etc. I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

19. Kungphoo July 7, 2014 at 7:02 pm - Reply

I wife definitely needs this.. Her pocketbook is crazy.. lol

20. michele d July 7, 2014 at 7:17 pm - Reply

I really needed this. My purse looks so awful. It’s not organized at all.

21. Emilee July 7, 2014 at 7:59 pm - Reply

This is great! I actually DO clean out my purse every Sunday at work. It’s a ritual of mind =]

22. Don Purdum July 7, 2014 at 8:52 pm - Reply

I know some ladies that could really use some purse organization skills… lol…

23. Bonnie G July 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm - Reply

Great tips! I really don’t carry much in my purse but for some reason I still can’t find my keys lol.

24. Maria Oller July 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm - Reply

Awesome tips but it doesn’t matter what I do my purse always ends messy after a couple of hours must be the huge amount of things I carry with me

25. FamiGami July 7, 2014 at 10:22 pm - Reply

My wife desperately needs these tips! Thanks!

26. Alysia July 7, 2014 at 10:23 pm - Reply

Would be excellent tips…if I started using a purse again! I got rid of mine, as I just kept storing so, so much in it lol

27. BusyBee July 7, 2014 at 10:36 pm - Reply

I had a HUGE bag that was always a hot mess now I just carry a small one for my wallet and phone

28. Rach @ EazyPeazyMealz July 7, 2014 at 10:48 pm - Reply

Oh man, I needed this. I have the messiest purse. Kids will do that to your purse. Haha!

29. Liz Mays July 7, 2014 at 10:57 pm - Reply

I really try to have everything in a home inside my purse, but stuff always falls out of the compartments they’re supposed to be. It’s so frustrating!

30. Kimberly July 7, 2014 at 11:33 pm - Reply

I haven’t seen the bottom of my purse in ages. I’m fairly certain that an animal cracker mutated with a green crayon. I might lose a finger in there….

31. Pamela July 8, 2014 at 8:14 am - Reply

My bag can get so packed up with things I don’t need, great tips!

32. Jaime July 8, 2014 at 9:33 am - Reply

These are great tips. I tend to carry so much in my purse but I do purge it every Sunday to make sure I am not carrying a bunch of crap. I also switch purses often.

33. Jhady July 8, 2014 at 12:09 pm - Reply

Great tips! Sometimes I am embarrass on how cluttery my purse is. I put too much stuffs and don’t clean it out lol.

34. These are such good ideas! I am always losing things in my purse when I need them the most. These tips will help tremendously. Thanks for sharing.

35. Ann Bacciaglia July 8, 2014 at 2:37 pm - Reply

My purse is so messy. I really need to clean it regularly. Thanks for sharing these great tips.

36. tonygreene113 @ 113tidbits July 8, 2014 at 2:41 pm - Reply

I could pass this informational post along to the ladies in my social following that carry huge handbags.

37. Rosey July 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm - Reply

My purse is a bottomless pit. I wish it weren’t true.

38. Rebecca Swenor July 8, 2014 at 4:28 pm - Reply

My purse is not organized at all. I could use all of these tips. Thanks for sharing.

39. Patricia July 8, 2014 at 7:05 pm - Reply

Thanks so much for your tips. I have an awful habit of storing EVERYTHING in my purse. I really need to clean it out.

40. John Lopez July 8, 2014 at 8:53 pm - Reply

I will pass this on the my lady peeps, nice article.

41. Debi July 9, 2014 at 9:17 am - Reply

My purse is always a mess. I need all the tips I can get.

42. Payal Bansal July 9, 2014 at 3:04 pm - Reply

Wow!! SO, its not just me. All the women make their handbags the best place to put all the stuff they need and they dnt need. And within few weeks, the hand bag becomes more sought of a storage bin …. lol
    Thanks for the advices, I so needed them, actually we all needed them :p

43. LaTonya (Detroit Mom) July 9, 2014 at 4:54 pm - Reply

My purse is always junky LOL. Thanks for the great tips

44. Patranila July 10, 2014 at 12:28 am - Reply

This couldn’t have come at a better time. I looked in the bottom of my purse and was repulsed. Ugh!

45. Onica (MommyFactor) July 11, 2014 at 7:31 am - Reply

My purse is such a mess. I dont know how it got that way. But I need to put these tips into action.

46. Kath Rivera July 11, 2014 at 9:55 am - Reply

My purse is always organized. These tips are very helpful. Thanks for sharing. I’ll share this to my friends.

47. katrina g July 11, 2014 at 12:36 pm - Reply

I do well with organizing my purse for about 2 days and then it all goes out the window. I need to get much better

48. BusyBee July 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm - Reply

My bag is like Marry Poppins. I have everything in there.

49. Pamela July 20, 2014 at 5:12 am - Reply

Great tips – I am very bad at staying organised and throw everything in.