Taylor Swift Claims Her High School Pictures Were ‘Tragic’, Hints At Being Unpopular

Posted on Jul 24 2014 - 10:58am by Siyana Riley

Taylor Swift Claims Her High School Pictures Were 'Tragic', Hints At Being Unpopular

Apparently, there was a time in our universe where Taylor Swift wasn’t pretty or popular. Or at least, that’s what Taylor claims.

In a new interview with Teen Vogue, Taylor reveals that she wasn’t always this put together. She claims, “My high school pictures are, like…tragic. My style forever was going to be cornrows. I took my school picture with the cornrows… It really thrust me into what it’s like to not have anywhere to sit in the cafeteria.”

Well, she IS talking to Teen Vogue so it makes sense that she would pander to teen viewers, all of whom feel alienated at one point or another. Plus, Taylor did spend most of her pre-teen years struggling to become successful, so she might not have had the confidence that she does now. Even then, it’s hard to believe that Taylor wouldn’t have anywhere to sit in the cafeteria, even if she had cornrows on her head.

Anyway, Taylor’s since come into her own as a fashion icon, although she tends to play it safe more often than not. We can always count on Taylor to wear something sparkly and/or short during an awards ceremony, and to top off her look with a bright red lipstick. In fact, she’s gotten so predictable that it’s almost boring, and honestly, I’d actually love to see her bring back the cornrows. At least it would make a change from the same clothes, the same hair, and the same makeup each and every time Taylor steps out in public.

I’m a writer who has traveled across the world, sometimes on vacation and sometimes because I’m dragged. I was born in the US, grew up in Dubai and California, and have spent most of my life scribbling random things on paper. Now that I’ve graduated college, I look to inspire more people to travel around the world and learn about different cultures. Favorite places to visit: Dubai, New York City [always!], London, Barcelona, Goa, Romania, Bruges, Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuwait, South Africa, and Rio de janeiro. My goal is to visit every country in the world before I turn 60, so let’s see how far I’m able to achieve that goal.

on Google+

1. Christine July 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm - Reply

Even celebs look back at their high school photos and sigh :) Taylor Swift is still really popular with the girls where we live. We live in country music-ville, so she’s had an influence on the girls here.

Interesting read. Taylor Swift is beautiful and she has a lovely voice.

2. Randa July 24, 2014 at 5:07 pm - Reply

I have seen the photo she is referring to, it’s kind of cute because she is so young lol!

3. Jenn July 24, 2014 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Its nice for girls to hear that a beautiful celeb wasn’t always that way. It makes it reassuring that teens will one day grow out of the ugly duckling phase!

4. Pamela July 25, 2014 at 9:37 am - Reply

I can see her being unpopular and people leaving her out sadly.

5. Casey E. Palmer July 25, 2014 at 11:04 am - Reply

I look back at my high school photos all the time with a “What was I THINKING?!”

We all need to remember at the end of the day that we’re all just people, and that we all are beautiful in our own way. No one else should ever be in control of our self-esteem and self-worth!

6. Paula Schuck July 26, 2014 at 2:46 pm - Reply

I think every teen has felt this way. Even Taylor swift was geeky or feeling awkward at one point.

7. Pamela July 27, 2014 at 9:36 am - Reply

I think most people look back at cringe at their old high school years, not uncommon.

8. Janelle July 27, 2014 at 10:12 pm - Reply

I think Taylor Swift is talking about those images more than anyone else.

9. Allie July 28, 2014 at 10:58 am - Reply

Everything about this girl screams high maintenance. She’s her own worst enemy.

• Jen July 31, 2014 at 4:02 am - Reply

She really is. Imagine being her BFF and listening to all this stuff non-stop? Too self obsessed.

10. Ninja Mommers July 28, 2014 at 1:56 pm - Reply

That’s sad for her. It sucks to go through weird phases when you are in school.

However, I think she needs to focus on the present and not worry so much about the past.

• Jen July 31, 2014 at 4:03 am - Reply

BRILLIANT screen name! You’re right she needs to look forwards, not back.

11. Jen July 31, 2014 at 4:01 am - Reply

Oh Swifty. This is the world’s smallest violin and i’m playing it for you.