A first date is one of the most nerve wrecking things you can experience as a teenager. You want things to go perfectly and you want to impress, but you also are a bit nervous about being alone with someone you don’t know that well. Here are some important first date tips for teens to stay safe and be relaxed as possible:
1. Make sure you meet each other’s parents. Meeting the parents helps a great deal because it allows you and your date to get to know each other’s families. It is also a good thing because mom and dad can kind of get to know the person that you will be hanging with. When you visit, make sure you share contact details and where you will be at all times. Demand this in return as well.
2. Date someplace public. When you are first getting to know someone, you should always stick to a public area. There is no reason to date in a private place. Both of you will relax much easier knowing you are going to be somewhere that walking away would be easy. If you are not having a good time or feel threatened, you should always walk away and politely excuse yourself from the date.
3. Discuss and set boundaries early. If you are dating someone you know well, this is probably not as necessary. If you are on a first date and don’t really know the person, however, you would be smart to talk about what you are not interested in. Let them know you are drug free, smoke free and that you are not having sex. This straightforward approach can often weed out the creeps and make things easier.
4. Carry mace just in case. There was a time when this would be a bit over the top. That is no longer the case. In a world where date rape is fairly common, you need to have some kind of protection on you. Mace is easy and compact and fits in your purse with no trouble at all.
5. Make sure you have a double date. The best way to feel at ease and safe on a first date is to go on a double date with someone you know and trust. This is a common way to handle a first date without insulting anyone or making them feel as though you don’t trust them. Time alone is no big deal at all once you get to know one another. Time alone when you barely know one another is rarely a good idea.
Staying safe on your first date is simply a matter of putting things in place. Make sure you have someone with you, someone that knows where you are and who you are with and that you are in a public place. Those are the basics and will keep you safe and comfortable with whomever you go out with.