Miley Cyrus Brings Former Homeless Guy As Date To VMA’s

Posted on Aug 26 2014 - 8:15pm by Virgilia Coriolanus

Miley Cyrus Brings Former Homeless Guy As Date To VMA's

His name is Jesse, just an FYI.

I guess Miley Cyrus wanted attention BOTH years she attended the VMA’s, but this time, it was for a good reason. No twerking was even necessary.

Okay, so Miley won the Video of the Year Award for Wrecking Ball (I guess licking that hammer cinched the deal), and instead of going up to accept the award, she sent her ‘date’, 22 year old Jesse to make a speech about this homeless charity, My Friend’s Place.

Here’s what he said:
“My name is Jesse. I am accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million runaways and homeless youth in the United States who are starving and lost and scared for their lives. I know, because I am one of those people. I’ve been an extra in your movies, I’ve been an extra in your lives. Los Angeles has the largest population of homeless youth in America. Though may have been invisible to you on the streets I have a lot of the same dreams that brought many of you here tonight.”

I look at this with two sides of myself. There’s the human in me that thinks that this is great. Millions of people have now heard about the My Friend’s Place charity organization–I’d certainly never heard about it. This young man, Jesse, got to stand up in front of millions of people (figuratively) and be given a voice to talk about something that he has personally experienced and this is dear to his heart. And people had to listen. He’s probably never experienced something like that before–very few of us will. So I think that it’s great that Miley did this–especially since she does live in LA.

Then there’s the gossip side of me. It’s Miley. And the thing that I’ve learned the most about Miley over the past year, is that Miley LOVES attention. That’s not to say that she doesn’t have a good heart–but she loves attention. And she knows exactly how to get the most attention. It’s why she played media games about whether or not she was still with her ex-fiance, Liam Hemsworth, for months, and it’s why she waited to announce that she and Liam had broken up (it was obvious) until she dropped her single, Wrecking Ball to the general public. Complete with crying, emotional live performances afterwards.

And then there’s the fact that this VMA appearance (although she didn’t perform this time) was a complete 180 from the last one. Instead of getting attention for being a completely sloppy performer (and that tongue–that’s the first thing my mom asked about–”What’s wrong with her tongue?”), and twerking her flat, out of shape butt everywhere, she’s getting attention because she wanted to bring awareness to a charity. Good.

I just read on Look To The Stars that she supports 39 different charities. That’s great. I wish that she would talk and tweet more about those charities and causes, but every little bit helps. I can’t really hate on her for bringing Jesse to the VMA’s, because everyone wins. She got attention. He (and the charity) got attention. Everyone is happy.

Virgilia lives in the most godforsaken city and state--South Range, Michigan, with her two parents, four siblings, a farty mini English Bulldog, a cat that likes to fight other cats and chase poor, helpless birds, and her little sister's two stinky, ugly rabbits (aptly named Ugly and Fugly by yours truly). She wishes she were down south somewhere (Tennessee or Texas), and not still stuck in the snow. She enjoys the reading and writing of gossip, as well as novels and fanfictions. Looks like she's in the right place.

1. Robin (Masshole Mommy) August 27, 2014 at 11:18 am - Reply

She’s always doing something isn’t she? At least she wasn’t up there making a fool out of herself again this year.

2. Lexie Lane August 27, 2014 at 11:33 am - Reply

I think she’s being the young person she is. Surely her celebrity status isn’t enough as a lot of people, even the richest, are never content with what they have. I think she thrives on the fact that people have something to talk about. It’s what makes her even more popular. When Paris Hilton went to jail, it was a huge thing. How much of her do you hear now that she’s no longer so crazy? Hmmm … It would be hard to just leave her alone, wouldn’t it?

3. Kori August 27, 2014 at 11:35 am - Reply

I don’t watch the VMA’s but it ‘s nice to hear that Miley is doing something positive.

4. Theresa August 27, 2014 at 2:41 pm - Reply

I saw that segment of the VMA’s. Thought it came from a good place. Anything but her twerking is better, to be honest.

5. Cyndi August 27, 2014 at 4:19 pm - Reply

She always has to do something for attention. At least this year’s attention wasn’t appalling like last year.

6. Sara August 27, 2014 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Um, a little weird, but at least she wasn’t licking anything, or anybody… I guess maybe it was kind of cool, getting the word out and all but it also seemed a little like another stunt.

7. Natalie Marie August 27, 2014 at 6:13 pm - Reply

I actually thought this was really cool for her to do. Definitely didn’t mind seeing articles about this on my newsfeed. As for her activities last year, those were hidden pretty quickly!

8. Krista August 27, 2014 at 9:38 pm - Reply

That is interesting and really neat. I missed the VMA’s but I love that she tried to do something good!

9. Debbie Jean McMullen August 27, 2014 at 11:47 pm - Reply

I’m just relieved to see her getting attention for something other than twerking!

10. Tanya Coffman August 28, 2014 at 12:47 am - Reply

I can’t remember where, but I was reading that he wasn’t a homeless guy, but rather a paid actor to gain her some ‘positive’ attention to make herself look good before her career tanks out. Either way, at least some shining light attention is being brought to a new charity! :D

11. Teresa McCluskey August 28, 2014 at 1:40 pm - Reply

I personally thing every person is there own. If Miley wants to act a fool, let her! She would not be doing it if we (the people) did not notice it!

12. Cyndi @ MrsWrightWrites August 28, 2014 at 3:35 pm - Reply

I’m with you in the bit of skepticism. Great cause…. awesome platform. Also, in true Miley fashion, major cry out for attention. At least is was for a much better cause than last year ;-)

13. katrina g August 28, 2014 at 6:41 pm - Reply

i think she did a good thing with this guy. hopefully it’s a trend of positive things now

14. sojourner August 28, 2014 at 9:34 pm - Reply

Go Miley! At last something positive. What a train wreck that twirking was :/

15. Maggie August 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm - Reply

I think it’s great that she did that but it still can’t redeem her for me. She just needs to grow up already!

16. Rosey August 28, 2014 at 11:41 pm - Reply

I think bringing attention to the cause was nice. Not many people have done it. Def. a nice change from last year.

17. Adin Blankenship August 29, 2014 at 12:17 am - Reply

18. Adin Blankenship August 29, 2014 at 12:20 am - Reply

Hmmm….. Well, Miley is Miley and I guess she will do whatever it takes to gain more publicity. I don’t know really what to think about it, but it is nice as well that they are raising awareness about homeless youth and supporting these charities. At least she is not doing anything crazy like twerking and that tongue. Oh dear!

19. Virginia August 29, 2014 at 1:44 pm - Reply

I think it was nice what she did. Perhaps she is growing up and maturing? lol

20. TweenselMom August 31, 2014 at 3:32 pm - Reply

It’s nice that she did this but I really hope that she is sincere.